Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 19:04:41 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Didier Derny <didier@omnix.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE CDROM On soundblaster + 4 IDE Hard disks

Didier Derny:
 |The sound blaster is at the adresses: 0x168 and 0x36e  irq 11
 |
 |the board is perfectly recognized on win95 but not
 |with FreeBSD.
 |
 |Why is the 0x36e address not declared in the FreeBSD kernel
 |config file ???

Guess not many FreeBSD folks have installed Tertiary and/or Quaternary IDE
controllers.  I have an open bug report on this:

    kern/5627: Tertiary/Quaternary IDE Ctlrs: A few kernel mods needed

but it basically just boils down to patching in the mod Vallo suggested to
isa.h with the appropriate port addresses:

             #define IO_WD3 0x1e8
             #define IO_WD4 0x168

(assuming these are standard wcd2 and wcd3 addresses and not just Creative
Lab's numbers) and then you can add the controller(s) to your kernel config
file.

Probably shouldn't be in the GENERIC kernel I wouldn't think as it takes
time to probe the controllers, and it'd just slow booting for the majority
that don't have one or both of these.  But having the isa.h mod in so a kernel patch isn't necessary would be a plus.

Randall Hopper