Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 2003 05:57:30 -0500
From:      Jud <judmarc@fastmail.fm>
To:        Henrik Hudson <lists@rhavenn.net>, Makaveli The Don <eazy927@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I Need Details To Dual Boot Windows XP and FreeBSD

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 02:51:05 -0600, Henrik Hudson <lists@rhavenn.net>
wrote:

> On Tuesday 18 March 2003 02:34, Makaveli The Don wrote:
>> How do I dual boot windows xp and FreeBSD? Can someone give me a
>> detailed
>> explanation of steps to take?
>>
>> I have a 40gig hard drive. I don't want to destroy my current
>> installation
>> until I have the details down.  I eventually don't mind destroying my
>> current installation of windows XP.
>>
>> So far, this is what I have figured out:
>> 1. Fdisk the hard drive to destroy current installation.
>> 2. Install windows XP on a 20gig hard drive (or however much I choose).
>> 3. Install FreeBSD...
>>
>> That's all I know.
>>
>> I need the details for the rest, such as:  when I get to the FreeBSD
>> bootloader options what do I choose?
>>
>> Basically, as much information (details) as you can provide I would
>> greatly
>> appreciate.
>>
>> Thank you very much.
>>
>> -Bishop

You don't have to destroy your XP installation.  Just shrink it.  See
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com .  (Free 30-day trial.  I don't think this
will take you 30 days.:)

Dual booting is the subject of FAQs at FreeBSD's web site.  You are wanting
to do the simplest kind of dual boot, where both operating systems will be
on the same disk.  You can easily get both XP and FreeBSD to boot from XP's
boot menu.  See http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-
1/books/faq/disks.html#NT-BOOTLOADER .  Read it carefully.

If you have additional questions along the way, first try seeing if they
have been answered in an FAQ, other documentation (especially the Handbook)
or this mailing list.  Google is your friend.  :)  If you can't find what
you need in those sources, ask the list.

Jud