Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 21:28:30 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, ctm-announce@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CTM requires a new home!

At 7:44 PM -0600 2/22/98, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>The current maintainer of CTM services, Richard Wackerbarth, no longer
>wishes to provide that service and is looking for a replacement.  I
>have absolutely no idea what's involved in making CTM deltas but I'm
>sure that RKW would be happy to explain the process to whomever steps
>forward to fill his shoes.  I'm guessing that you need, at a minimum,
>a local well-updated CVS tree and enough bandwidth to send the deltas
>out on a regular basis.

The bandwidth is a minor requirement. Most of the deltas consist of only
a message or two. The real requirements are
1) A "production" system that can be relied upon to produce the deltas
   day in and day out.
2) About 2Gb of Hard disk to support the various versions of the tree
   that you need to maintain. A MINIMUM of two copies of the ENTIRE
   CVS tree and 3 source trees. (We could probably cut that back to
   2 by dropping the 2.1 deltas) and the master library of the deltas.
3) Enough computing time to produce the deltas. At the moment, I am
   using about 50% of a P5-90 for 6 or 7 hours per day.

>If we can't find a volunteer then CTM services will simply be
>discontinued, so if you're a fan of CTM, here's your chance to make a
>difference!

It wouldn't be as efficient, but the various distributions could be
split up and come from different places.

The reason that I am quitting is that the burden has steadly grown.
I made some suggestions that would greatly cut down on the burden of
reprocessing dead material many times each day. Much of the bulk of
the tree could be taken from a CD and, most importantly, would not
need to be reprocessed all the time. I even offered to implement
the changes.

However, as is usually the case with this group, the people who get
to make the decisions are not interested in my changes. They do
not see that THEY get a direct benefit and the changes MIGHT affect
them.

Therefore, I am making the only change over which I have any control.
It guarantees to reduce the burden on my system. Unfortunately it may
affect some of you, who, like myself, have no say in the matter.

Richard Wackerbarth