Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 1996 10:43:22 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Christian Fortin <cfortin@ec.camitel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Fire Wall with FreeBSD, is it good?

Christian Fortin wrote:

> Can I trust a fire Wall with FreeBSD ???
> Any comment is welcom...
> Which package do you sugest ?

If you trust things you build yourself, then yes, you can trust a
firewall. Look into using ipfw (it's in the handbook) and the TIS fwtk
(it's in the ports).

Note that a firewall is much more than the utilities used to implement it.
You need to set up security policies and configure your firewall
accordingly. You may want to take a look at:

Firewalls and Internet Security: Repelling the Wily Hacker
W. R. Cheswick and S. M. Bellovin
Addison-Wesley
ISBN: 0-201-63357-4

There are probably many more good books on the subject...

> ----------------------------------
> E-Mail: Christian Fortin <cfortin@ec.camitel.com>
> Date: 11/17/96
> Heure: 19:58:57
> ##################################################--------+
> Electro-Conception        tel:(418) 872-6641              |
> 3665 Croisset             fax:(418) 872-9198              |
> Quebec,P.Q.               www.ec.camitel.com/ec           |
> Canada                    ftp.ec.camitel.com              |
>                                       \----1
>                                           ---
>                                            -
Nadav