Date:      Sun, 05 Oct 1997 20:33:40 -0400
From:      cliff ainsworth III <cliff@cliffsworld.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   project truck.....ideas wanted

Evening all,

I am starting a project, and I am looking for any input. I have until next
spring or so to get it completed.

We are currently building a 73 dodge pick-up truck for competition next
year out at the Bonneville Utah Salt Flats for speed week and in N.C. for
the east coast speed trials. That way we can promote our webzine and so I
can drive fast. (current record in this class is 139 mph, that was done two
years ago in a 72 dodge pick up). We are set to compete in class "A". That
means stock body and no fiberglass/ engine must be natural aspirated (no
turbos/superchargers), gas fuel. The engine will be in the 8.2. litre (500
cubic inch) range.

We recently started using FreeBSD here after attending Beyond HOPE.

We would like to use FreeBSD to sample temperatures water, oil, tranny
fluid, exhaust ports, intake etc., (tired of analog gauges), GPS and
anything else that we or you can do with it. We want to be able to read all
of these samples after each run so we can see exactly how the engine is
performing. The other possibility is to have it output simultaneously to an
all digital dash. We have already found a place that we can mail our 23
year old dash and get a brand new all digital dash built for us that will
bolt back into the stock dashboard.

We just aren't sure were to get parts. Our best guess is to use stuff that
is used in the manufacturing industry that can be sampled by a FreeBSD
machine or maybe even some modified SmartHouse stuff. We can do testing
with a desktop, but ultimately we will need to use a mobile computer which
I am sure we should be able to get at least temporarily from a sponsor.
Currently we have Federal-Mogul sponsoring us with others pending. We will
of course like to put the FreeBSD daemon on the side of the truck and help
cross-promote the FreeBSD scene.

Just let us know if anybody is interested, any help with industrial
hardware will be greatly appreciated....and remember, never drive faster
then your guardian angel can fly :)

thanx,

-cliff

CLIFFSWORLD homepage------<http://www.cliffsworld.com>;
"Open Throttle" web-zine-----<http://www.openthrottle.com>;
Quake-Clan "RIP" homepage--------<http://rip.internexus.net>;
box 1055, Maywood NJ, 07607-7055    fone 201-843-0936
PGP v5.0 public key available

      "Do not stare into the FDDI port with remaining eye"
      (Paraphrased from the Cisco 7206 installation guide).