Date:      Sat, 06 Jan 2007 13:06:00 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
To:        Niclas Zeising <niclas.zeising@gmail.com>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Changes and Updates to Installation chapter

--------------enig35F4F4D60B9F0C9667BB45F1

If memory serves me right, Niclas Zeising wrote:
> This is a list of changes that I think are needed in the Installation=20
> Chapter of the Handbook. It is not a patch to the documentation or=20
> anything, I want to discuss the changes before continuing working with =

> doing the actual changes.

On a related note:

There's an article called "Installation Notes" or some such thing in the
release documentation.  It is probably older than the installation
chapter in the handbook, and was never anywhere near as well-maintained.

Two or three years ago, I started working on converting this to a kind
of "Quickstart Guide", which would basically cover downloading and
creating install media, and the initial bootstrap steps up to the point
of the main install menu.  It was never finished, although I have some
hopes of  seeing this work used somehow.  (I have neither the time nor
knowledge required to finish this properly, alas.)

Here's a PDF of what it looked like:

http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/doc/quickstart.pdf

If there's some good, solid interest in finishing this, I can figure out
a reasonable way to put the source files into FreeBSD Perforce or
something like that for some other doc types to hack on.

I mention this mostly in the hope that there'd be a way for a Quickstart
 Guide and the Installation Chapter to mesh somehow.  Somebody mentioned
to me once that maybe the quickstart guide could be a subset of the
installation chapter, which is also an idea worth pursuing.

Cheers,

Bruce.