Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 11:47:38 +0100 (BST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Dan=20Fairs?= <danfairs@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Raoul Schroeder <memphis_ms@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: qmail does not accept e-mail

> In order to receive mail with SMTP over the network you need to set
> up
> qmail-smtpd to be started from your inetd.  The line that you need to
> add to your inetd.conf is also included in qmail's
> /var/qmail/doc/FAQ,
> but it looks like:
>
>     smtp stream tcp nowait qmaild /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env tcp-env
> /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd

The qmail guys recommend that you use tcpserver instead of inetd. This
comes in the sysutils/ucspi-tcp port. This is how I start qmail-smtpd:

#!/bin/sh
QMAILDUID=`id -u qmaild`
NOFILESGID=`id -g qmaild`
exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 2000000 \
  /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -p -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb \
    -u $QMAILDUID -g $NOFILESGID 0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1

softlimit comes from the  sysutils/daemontools port.

I set up qmail in accordance with the 'Life With qmail' guide, a
comprehensive and clear document linked to from www.qmail.org.

Hope this helps,
Dan

=====