Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 02:10:59 -0500
From:      David Delisle <cellule@videotron.ca>
To:        Kevin Voyce <casolution@kvproducts.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with windowmanager

----- Original Message -----
From: Kevin Voyce <casolution@kvproducts.com>
To: David Delisle <cellule@videotron.ca>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2000 2:25 AM

> David;
> I may be having a simular problem. What I see looks almost liker barcode
> where text should be. I have requested help dfrom those on this list but
am
> still
> waiting. please refer to the following --
>
> I Installed the XFree86 3.3.6 software in hopes of using my ATI Rage
> 128.
> The previous release would not work at all for this card.
>
> The good news is that the server starts and initially appears to work.
> However when I startx to KDE 1.1.1 or Windowmaker any windows ie. term,
> netscape, config etc. contain bar code instead of text also when windows
> are moved the section at the top flickers when moving over another
> window. Sometimes text does show but is destroyed upon window movement.
>
> Note -- The XFree86 3.3.6 software and KDE 1.1.1 or Windowmaker work
> fine with my old Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM (S3).
>
> If it looks lke your problem is like mine perhaps we can pool our
resources.

> Any way the work around for me was to change Graphics Cards.
>
> Kevin Voyce.

Kevin:
yes, we are having the same problem. I'm new to freebsd (1 week), when i
used to run linux, the xserver was ok, no barcodes problem. Now i tried
freebsd, and got this problem, I reinstalled the whole thing because when
it's the first time I install a new OS for me, I like to reinstall it after,
and i got the same problem. I tried to play in windowmaker options, but it's
kinda hard when you cant read... if I install GNOME, you think I'll have the
same problem? Do you think that it's happening because we have low memory? I
have 32mb but my video card is SiS (4mb) so i get 28mb...

David Delisle
cellule@videotron.ca