Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 10:36:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Don Read <dread@texas.net>
To:        Terry Todd <tlt@badger.tltodd.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: news2mail programs

On 20-Oct-99 Terry Todd wrote:
> Mathias,
>

> On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 08:53:48AM +0200, Matthias Teege wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 12:43:13PM -0500, Terry Todd wrote:
>> >

>> > Can anyone recommend a news2mail program?  I have tried Alex Schnitman's

<snipage>

>> checkout the cyrus mailserver in the ports.
>> Matthias
>>
> I checked out cyrus.  I downloaded it and installed it and then
> looked at the cyrus doc pages on the web.
>
> From: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/cyrus-overview.html#news
> "The IMAP server can export netnews newsgroups as IMAP mailboxes.
> This is done by creating a partition named news which points to
> the news spool directory and arranging for the IMAP server's
> auxiliary databases to be maintained. The server software includes
> programs for integrating with the INN netnews server. The following
> information assumes working knowledge of the INN netnews server."
>
> Which is way way more complicated than what I am looking for.
>
> Thanks anyway,
> Terry Todd

you might try using 'suck' to pull the articles to a tmp directory,
then cron a script to mail em (bogus shell psudeo-code follows):

cd /var/tmp/news
files=`ls -t | tail -50`
for art in $files
do
    sendmail myaddr@comain.com < $art
    rm $art
done

Regards,
---
Don Read                                 dread@calcasieu.com
EDP Manager                                  dread@texas.net
Calcasieu Lumber Co.                               Austin TX
-- the Y2K bug is not a problem. W2K however ...