Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 13:16:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Greg Rowe <greg@uswest.net>
To:        Deepwell Internet <freebsd@deepwell.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: DNS scripts

We use NameSurfer by DataFellows (on FreeBSD). I'll get you in contact with our
DNS admin if you need details. We've been using it for a few years due to the
same problems you're encountering. It's worked well for us.

Greg

On 30-Apr-99 Deepwell Internet wrote:
> Hello,
>    We are the primary name server for quite a few domains.  Some are hosted
> by us, and some have web/mail hosting through customers of ours
> (co-locations).  Up until recently all of our DNS administration was done
> manually by editing the zone files and doing a named.restart.  This
> situation has a large room for error.
>
>    How are other freeBSD-based ISP's handling administration of DNS by more
> than one person?  Is there a good tool for doing this?  Mainly I'm looking
> for something that will update the PTR records automatically, update the
> serial number, and do a general sanity check.
>
> Thanks

Greg Rowe <greg@uswest.net>   US WEST -  Internet Service Operations
"The telephone, for those of you who  have forgotten, was a commonly
used communications technology in the days before electronic mail.
They're still easy to find in most large cities." -- Nathaniel Borenstein