Date:      Sun, 1 Sep 1996 22:27:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Nick Liu <root@netcom.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is Goldstar 6x CDROM supported?

On Fri, 1 Sep 1995, Nick Liu wrote:

> > > I just got a Goldstart 6x CDROM with a 16-bit Future Domain adapter.  My
> > > question is:  would this thing work under 2.1.5?
> >
> > Future Domain?  It's more likely a SCSI.  Unfortunately, Future Domain
> > controllers are not supported.
>
> I tried it on the second IDE port on my Triton motherboard and it didn't
> work.  I guess it's not an IDE anyway (or maybe it's not a STANDARD ide).

There's one IDE, just multiple firmware implementations.

I usually associate Future Domain with SCSI, perhaps they make IDE
controllers too.  IN that case, then yes it's supported under the
ATAPI driver.  The magic configuration appears to be the slave of the
first controller, but it may vary on your system.  Also note that you will
have to build a new kernel including the ATAPI options for it to work
after installation.

> I am sure it's not a SCSI cause the manual talks abot IDE a lot.  I just
> thought someone would know how to make it work or give me some pointers
> like port, etc.

It's configured through the IDE controllers, wich use semi-standard
addresses.  The defaults should work; if not, you'll have to check your
jumpers.