Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:49:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mark Terribile <materribile@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Page fault in kernel when using CD, BSD 7.2

Hi,

> Second problem: on a machine (Core 2 Quad, 2.24 GHz) the
> CD/DVD drive has started to give me page faults in the kernel.
>  The "press any key on the console" to halt the reboot does
> not work.

Okay, now it's happening with nothing but the fsck running.
It takes maybe fifteen minutes.  I'm using an ASUS P5N7A-VM mobo,
AMI BIOS.  The NB heatsink is barely warm (fan cooled), the
memory is just warm to the touch, I've blown everything out,
etc.  I've got two SATA disks (Seagate and WD), in a carrier
well-ventilated by a fan.  They are barely warm.  The CD was
not in use.  Ambient temperature is about 83 to 86F and this
machine is a mobo on a standoffs on a board (until I free up
the case it's supposed to go in).

Granted that I may have a HW problem, but does the way the
problem has manifested suggest anything about where to start?

    Mark Terribile
    materribile@yahoo.com