Date:      Fri, 5 Feb 1999 04:09:18 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        scot@london.virgin.net (Scot Elliott)
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: alpha PC

> Does anyone know if it's possible to flash the newer firmware file
> directly from AlphaBIOS?  DEC's documentation seems a bit lacking here.
>
> On a similar note, DEC Unix 4.0d won't install on a 164SX - is it supposed
> to?

There is a firmware requirement for, I believe, either 32M or 64M of
memory.

One of the things the guy doing the initial Linux Alpha port at the
University of Arizona in Tucson (my home town at the time) did was
to get a modified firmware that wouldn't balk at 16M.

DEC basically has an appearance of performance requirement for
Alpha hardware that 16M and DEC UNIX just can't meet.

...more Alpha trivia than you wanted to know.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.