Date:      Wed, 05 May 2004 10:04:31 +0200
From:      Eirik Oeverby <ltning@anduin.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Enabling my second CPU

Hi,

I've bumped into a rather curious problem - not really FreeBSD specific,
but I was still hoping some wizard could help me solve it.

I've recently changed from an Asus A7M266-D board to a MSI K7D Master-L
board, due to the Asus dying on me. I'm running with dual Athlon 1.4ghz
CPUs (non-MP, just plain old Athlon CPUs), and with the Asus this was no
problem at all. Performance was fine, both CPUs were utilized well, and
all was good.
Now with the MSI board, the BIOS complains on bootup that the CPUs I'm
using aren't MP-capable, and that it has disabled one and is running in
UNIprocessor mode.
As you will see in the output from mptable(1) below, the 2nd CPU is
found, but marked as 'unusable'. Now obviously since I was using the
same two CPUs on the Asus board, they *do* work in dual mode, and the
chipsets on the two motherboards are exactly the same. Thus there's no
good reason (from my POV) why the BIOS is disabling my 2nd CPU and
ruining my fun..

Does anyone know a way to get around this? Perhaps to force-enable the
2nd CPU in the kernel or something? I've read reports that Windows XP
actually recognizes and uses both CPUs despite what the BIOS says, which
to me is an indication that it should be possible somehow. I also
suspect that the actual check in the BIOS could be disabled by some
hackery in the BIOS flash file, however I'd like to try other options first.

If anyone think they can help, it'd be most appreciated!

With best regards,
/Eirik