Date:      Wed, 5 May 1999 20:10:23 -0400
From:      Brad Karp <karp@eecs.harvard.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        dfr@nlsystems.com, wpaul@ctr.columbia.edu
Subject:   duplicate 802.11 drivers

I was unaware of Bill Paul's work; I don't subscribe to -current, only
-mobile. No time to read both. I'm utterly despondent that I spent time
doing this port when a non-GPL'ed driver was already almost complete. My own
fault, I guess.

As Bill points out, he didn't use the GPL Linux driver as a starting point;
he only used it as a spec document for the programming interface of the
WaveLAN 802.11 card. He started writing from scratch, so his driver is not
GPL-encumbered.

Bill also said of his driver vs. my own:

> It's also much prettier to look at, if I do say so myself. :)

I only want to point out that I believe Bill's comment refers mainly to the
ugliness of the HCF-Light code, which I did not write--I took it from the Linux
driver, which it in turn took from Lucent.

I didn't have time to write a driver from scratch. Starting from the HCF-Light
let me complete the port in under 4 days. But yes, that HCF-Light code is
monstrous. Code by my hand is not. :-)

-Brad, karp@eecs.harvard.edu