Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 1996 08:01:39 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        gjennejohn@frt.dec.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hackers), isdn@muc.ditec.de (FreeBSD ISDN Distribution List)
Subject:   Re: Status of ISDN drivers

garyj@frt.dec.com writes:

> wlloyd@mpd.ca writes:
>> I've been reading through the past archives for ISDN card information,
>> as well as scanning through the source tree.
>>
>> So far all I've found is that the current ISDN PC card drivers for Dr.
>> Neurhaus(sp?) seem to be out of date and going nowhere.
>>
>> So that seems to leave the following options to do ISDN on Freebsd.
>>
>> 1) Buy Ascend 25/50 etc. expensive but good option.
>> 2) Buy Dr. Nuerhaus card and hope it all works out.
>> 3) Get a TA like a Bitsurfr/Adtran etc.
>>
>> Is that the true situation, or am I missing something?
>>
>> Is anyone working on drivers for the low cost PC plug-n-play ISDN boards
>> from Digiboard or Livingston?
>>
> most of the active ISDN users/developers are located in Germany. There's
> a rather active mail list here (all in German).
>
> There's now a driver available for the Teles/Creatix card. The Teles low-end
> (passive) card is supposedly available in the US (Jordan posted something
> to one of the lists a few months ago, check the archive). This driver has
> not been put into the source tree yet, but I and several people I know
> of are using it.
>
> Whether any changes need to be made to get the current (not yet released)
> ISDN stuff to work in the US is a very open question. I don't know of
> anyone in the US who's running our ISDN code. It sure would be nice if
> someone could try it out, though !
>
> No-one is working on drivers for the Digiboard/Livingston cards, that I
> know of. I don't think they're even available or can compete price-wise
> with the really low-cost cards already on the market in Europe.
>
> Your best option is prob. 3. Or write a driver :-)

No, your best bet is to test our Teles driver :-)

Seriously, we were just discussing yesterday (on the ISDN list) if we
couldn't find somebody in the US to test the Teles driver.  You would
definitely need either full Q.921/Q.931 conformance, but even that
wouldn't guarantee that it would work without problems.  I'm pretty
sure that you would have almost insurmountable problems running with
56 kb/s B channels.

If you're just looking for a simple solution which works, this
probably isn't it.  Otherwise I'm sure we'd be very interested in
having you on board.  Note, however, what Gary says: the newsgroup
itself is in German (I hope I won't be taken to task for forwarding a
message in English :-)

Greg