Date:      Fri, 30 May 1997 19:04:29 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Robert Schien <robsch@robkaos.ruhr.de>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to turn off DAT compression

On May 30, Robert Schien <robsch@robkaos.ruhr.de> wrote:
> Yes, I tried a cleaning cartridge. Unfortunately, the DAT
> drive ejected it  10 seconds after loading :-(

Hmmm, that may be normal behaviour ...
Did the information supplied with the cartridge indicate the
cleaning would take longer ?

> > > May 29 13:50:30 robkaos /kernel: st1: MEDIUM ERROR asc:3,2 Excessive write errors
> >
> > Well, this is not a driver message, but a message sent
> > by your drive !!!

> > And the DAT drive ? :)
> Two years!

Depending on the number of backups performed, the head may
have been worn out and may need to be replaced ...

Early DAT drives had head life times in the low thousands
of hours. If you do daily backups of 2GB total, the drive
will be busy for some 2 hours a day. 1000 operating hours
are reached after 1.5 years, if the drive is only used for
the backups ...

You may find some information on claimed head life time in
your drives docs ...

> I don't think that the MEDIUM ERROR message is 'real'. Under normal

Well, how could it NOT be real ?

You've got to understand the way this message originated:

The driver issued a write request, the drive didn't succeed
executing it, and returned an error status. The generic SCSI
driver than sent an INQUIRY command to find out about the
reason for the failure, and the drive was very specific in
pointing out a MEDIUM ERROR.

> conditions (i.e. transfering files which are not easily compressible like
> audio files) there isn't the slightest problem with the drive.
> ONLY when transfering files which can be shrinked to 1/10th of their
> original size by gzip the DAT drive gets crazy. My theory is that
> there is some problem with the data transfer rate: when reading or
> writing compressible data the transfer rate increases from a few
> hundred kb/s to MB/s and my slow PPro-200 isn't capable to transfer
> the data :-)

No, there should never be a problem because of too low a
data rate. The drive will stop streaming, and will wait
for more data to arrive before it begins writing again.

If your drive got an 1MB buffer, and that buffer contains
uncompressed data, then writing the buffer will take some
1.5 seconds (assuming the best case compression factor of 4).

The drive may start/stop in 1.5 second periods, but that
should not cause it to wind the tape forward and backward.

If it does, then I suspect mechanical problems in the drive.

You may try without data compression, anyway, but I would
not trust any backup created under this conditions!

Did you check, whether tapes written on that drive can be
read back on another one ?

Gruss, STefan