Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 18:57:16 +0200
From:      Michel Quadflieg <michel@quadspeed.com>
To:        Ben Gras <ben@nl.euro.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where are the ipfw logs?

At 18:39 7/21/99 , you wrote:
>All,
>
>  > I thought I will try this again just in case this time someone with clue
>  > will see this.
>  > I have ipfw configured and running and also have included the 'log'
>  > command in my ruleset but I can't seem to find the logged traffic stats
>  > anywhere?
>  > Where does ipfw log it's stuff?
>
>If you add a "log" keyword to the rule (e.g.
>/sbin/ipfw add allow log ip from any to any), ipfw logs the `hit' of the
>rule using the regular KERNel syslogging facility; you can specify where
>it gets logged in /etc/syslog.conf. By default it probably ends up on the
>console and in /var/log/messages.

IPFW doesn't as far as I know log the amount of traffic in the logs, You
should
use for this for exemple MRTG.

For logging of the hits type this at /etc/syslog.conf

!ipfw
*.*                                             /var/log/ipfw.log

Then all rule-set "hits" will be logged......

         Michel

PS greetings ZEN master ;-)