Date:      Fri, 01 Aug 1997 15:00:27 +1000
From:      Robert Chalmers <robert@chalmers.com.au>
To:        Richard Levenberg <richardl@ufp.com>
Cc:        bkogawa@primenet.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My FreeBSD gateway machine is always dialing out!!!

Richard Levenberg wrote:

> > Coming into this late, but wondering how your sendmail is set up?
> Have
> > you turned off the (default) half hourly mail delivery check in
> > sysconfig?  The other thing that will trigger it is having your
> > off-site "default" gateway configured.
> Sendmail does not cause it to dial out except when there is mail to
> send
> and I understand that.
>
> I do have my default gateway to the ISP through the modem (tun0) set
> up at boot time.  I know that gives it the way to get out but why is
> it trying to get out?
>
> richardl

Hi,
Almost anything that creates activity on the net will trigger a call to
the gateway. There are also dns things, probably sendmail things, and
goodness knows what else that is built into the sytem that refers to
outside-your-net IP addresses. If you are not connected, and no
"default" , or "0.0.0.0" gateway is set, then the system says, ok, not
on this net and gives up. However, if it determines that there is a
remote gateway, it will try to set up a link. The best thing would be to
set up the default gateway using the ppp.dialup scripts, and take it
down again when you drop the connection, rather than have it set up at
boot time.

cheers,
Bob

--
http://www.chalmers.com.au Books-New & Secondhand  Support Whirled Peas.

Agents for CIBTC. Associate of Amazon.com, and Partner Program with iBS.

Books about China, books from China.         Sheng huo jiu shi dou zheng

Business Links in Dalian, and Beijing.          Building the China Trade