Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 11:26:24 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@i-clue.de>
To:        Jp <badusenix@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Fresh install but very slow

Jp wrote:

> Dear All,
>
>    I just install fresh FreeBSD4.3  all install process was no error
> but when finished installation I started to  work on FreeBSD. I found
> that it's very slow on telnet & FTP which it have  not been slow like
> this before. I don't know why?

If you mean network throughput has dropped considerably, check if your
network interface duplex setting matches that of your hub/switch. If
connected to a hub, you should use half duplex. When connected to a
switch, voll-duplex mode should be used.

Cheap hubs and switches often fail to auto-negotiate the correct setting
with your NIC.

HTH
-Christoph Sold