Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 16:44:58 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte.lance@gmx.net>
To:        "M.C Wong" <mcwong@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5R login/telnet sessions killed for no reason.

M.C Wong writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I have been running 2.2.5R for a about 6 monhts now and I have posted
 > a couple of times complaining about my X session gets killed with
 > unexpected HUP signal etc.
 >
 > I finally resorted to *not* running X about just normal login from
 > the console ttyvX and/or telnet via pty.
 >
 > However, every now and then even when all of those sessions are
 > active, the entire login session and the process will just get killed
 > and I got logged out abruptly and there is just no sigh of what is
 > happening but from vty console, just get the normal login prompt
 > again!!
 >
 > This is happening many many times that I think the system is getting
 > to a unusable state for proper use.
 >
 > I have been a happy FreeBSD and I think I must have been done something
 > wrong ? Does anyone know of init process does send HUP
 > signal under any circumstance or maybe other processes do so ?

How do you know HUPs are your problem ?

 > I can't explain the behaviour I am getting at all and it has caused
 > me quite a fair bit of frustration not knowing where to start
 > debug.
 >
 > If anyone have any idea, please kindly advice me and point me to the
 > right direction as I would like to get this sorted out ASAP.

I have the same symptoms and i am unable to find the source of them.
It happens in the following situations:
- X is running
- some kind of heavy-graphics-resource-consumption is happening,
  like:
    twm is configured to opaque-move AND i am dragging the
    netscape-window AND some other action takes place so that
    the graphical refresh is delayed.
then my X-session gets kicked completly. This is the best i was
able to get to. When this drama first started, not only my whole
X-session got kicked, but the machine immediately rebooted on this
(no panic-message, no nothing).
What i did to make the symptoms less catastrophic:
- probably change the slot-order of some PCI-cards (i had to)
- set the PCI-interrupt of the graphics-board to "N/A" (if it
  is a PCI-card)
- check the termination of your SCSI-bus. Check for TERM-POWER
  suppliers on your SCSI-bus and switch them off. The only device
  that should need to supply term-power to the SCSI-bus is the
  SCSI-controller.
- turn off any graphics-resources-intesive features in your
  window-manager (opaque-move, ...)
- i've found interrupts to cause the worst cases in this drama:
    while my ISDN-card is actively transferring packets and
    therefor issuing many interrupts and i opaque-move the
    netscape-window, in most cases this causes a crash. It must
    be said here, that my ISDN-card (AVM-Fritz!-ISA) generates
    about 200 interrupts/s when there is no activity on the
    ISDN-bus. If there is activity, this number gets much higher.

So the source of all that evil is probably a combination of the
following:
- bad graphics-card
- power-problem on the SCSI-bus
- bad interrupt-controller
- bad ISDN-card (generating >= 200 interrupts/s)
- bad RAM

The min. number of interrupts i get on my system when just
running X without doing anything (not even moving the mouse)
is 270 (while watching xpermon++). What is your's ?

Malte.