Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 10:35:04 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Peter Ross <peter.ross@alumni.tu-berlin.de>
To:        Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
Cc:        Gunnar Flygt <flygt@sr.se>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Secure installation of Apache on 4.5

Hi,

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Jens Rehsack wrote:

> Gunnar Flygt wrote:
> >
> > What would be an secure approach to running Apache with Java-Tomcat on a
> > FreeBSD 4.5 (or higher)
> ..
>
> With Tomcat I do not have any expirience, sorry.

I installed tomcat 3.x by using the binary from jakarte.apache.org.
Unfortunetely there is no reasonable separation between configuration
files and runtime files needing writeable access (created when tomcat
starts).

$TOMCATHOME/conf resides in /var (writeable and noexec), configuration
files are linked to $TOMCATHOME/etc (in /usr), webapps to /home/tomcat..

It isn't a masterpiece but it works.

I didn't try tomcat 4.x. Hope for progress;)

Peter Ross