Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 16:56:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Lew Payne <lewiz@netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot disk

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:30:30 +1100, jonathan michaels wrote:

> so being an a pay-roll is the price of courtesy, these days, is it ?
> we all send posts to freebsd-questions in teh HOPE of getting a reply,
> we HOPE that it will timely, direct, responsible and COURTEOUS.
>
> some of teh less than polite responces of teh recent days have gon a
> long way to proving at least one person observation, in teh we are no
> better than linux crowd.

Jonathan -- Who the hell do you think you are?  I'm on this list to
receive technical answers to FreeBSD questions, as well as to reply
to others who ask technical questions in my realm of expertise. I'm
not on here to judge or quibble about the attitudes of those who
spend their *free* time answering my questions.

> to draw a bow from my own experiece .. i've been in computer related
> tech support fro as long as some of teh responder (in thes parts) have
> been alive.  i know how easy it is to have a bad day and to take it
> out on teh client. one momentry slip will destroy years of goodwill.

That's nice to know... and completely irrelevant.  Do you have a
technical question you need answered, or is your only goal to spout
off more bullshit and personal observations of how "life should be?"

> we are in danger of this kind of rot creaping into freebsd. we all
> need to quard against the 'quick answer', the 'easy answer', these
> are all teh hallmark of one who has little skill in teh subject.

Just as spelling errors are the hallmark of illiteracy, right?

> if one is going to answer a post it take little effort to research,
> with care, the answer. most of teh time all it takes is the ability
> to read. a, the question being asked. b the reasonably good freebsd
> documantation and c, teh ancilliary documents available ...

Good point.  Perhaps we should refer people to the "reasonably good
freebsd documantation [sic]" and "teh ancilliary documents [sic]"
when they ask superfluous questions.  Oh, by the way, you also say
that "most of teh time all it takes is the ability to read."  Let's
not overlook the ability to write, while you're at it.

> volunteerism is no reason for sloppy manners or ill-courteous behavior.
> just because its free dosen't mean we can be free with our responsibilites.
> neithier is their a place for this kind of childish, rude and boorish
> behaviour.

Your choices are simple... accept the technical assistance, complete
with what you refer to as "discourtesy," or get your ass elsewhere.
I'm curious -- when did you first begin to believe you could demand
that others live their lives by *your* standards?

> ps, my dsylex'd and speld words have all teh letters, just not
> in teh order you might expect.

Putting all the letters in the words is no excuse for illiteracy.
Just because the letters are there doesn't mean we can be free
with our responsibilities.  There are free spell-checkers in this
world.  Neither is there a place for this kind of childish illiteracy.
Sound familiar?