Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 16:49:16 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Udo Wolter <uwp@ukrv.de>
To:        cdillon@tri-lakes.net (Chris Dillon)
Cc:        conrads@neosoft.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mount_msdos -- is it safe yet?

> > Has the support for DOS mounts in RELENG_2_2 progressed yet to the point
> > where it would be safe to mount my 1.6 gig DOS/Win95 drive (one huge
> > partition) without fear of corrupting my ufs?
> >
> > Sorry if this is an untimely question, but I haven't seen it come up in a
> > while.
>
> I'm not sure if it is your UFS partitions that are in danger of being
> corrupted, but rather the DOS partitions.  I have mounted my DOS
> partitions as read-only for quite some time now without any problems at
> all. I have even on occasion remounted them as writable and thrown some
> files on them.  I think as read-only they are quite safe.  The only time
> there may be some problems, if there are still any problems to speak of,
> is when they are writable.

In all Releases I mounted the DOS-partitions read-only even though they're
bigger than 504MB. When I mount them read-write the DOS-partitions gets
trashed (not everytimes, but sometimes). I noticed it more often when
I'm using cp. mv seemed to be better, but no poker game anymore.

As long as the msdosfs is buggy I recommend the mtools (I'm using V3.6
by myself and they're working fine for me ! I think there must be a more
uptodate version). I never had any problems with them, they work on
SCSI disks and on (E)IDE disks. Ok, these tools are not quite good to
copy whole trees, but they're working without trashing the disk.
Setting up a system will last longer than copy trees by hand...

Bye,
	Udo
--
Udo Wolter, email: uwp@cs.tu-berlin.de