Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 08:11:12 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        Clayton Tycksen <clay@tycksen.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd box as a porn filter?

> >> Dear FreeBSD,
> >>
> >> I'm relatively new to Unix.  A good friend of mine has converted me to
> >> FreeBSD, and I'm enjoying it.
> >> I do have a question-  as the administrator of a small network, I'm
> >> wondering if it's possible to set up FreeBSD on a box and have it
> >> perform filtering of pornography.  I realise that I can set up a FreeBSD
> >> box to perform packet filtering (although I still need to figure out how
> >> to do that, exactly).  But I'd like to prohibit nodes on our network
> >> from viewing pornographic material, and a few other general websites.  I
> >> do not have an external 'router' per se - We have an ISDN connection to
> >> our ISP (which does not provide filtering).
> >>
> >> I've looked at available hardware designed specifically for spam and
> >> porn filtering for networks, but the price of the hardware is too high
> >> for my small network of 15 nodes and 2 servers.

You know, I wasn't paying much attention to this thread, but the solution
is very simple. I've seen one client do it and it works fine.
First, establish a written policy that work computers are for work, period.
And establish a written policy for punishments for viewing potentially
offensive material on company computers. This leaves nothing to be questioned.
Then put up a squid proxy (which is a good idea anyway, for the sake of
optimizing your existing bandwidth) and make it public that you're logging
*everything* that people do on their computers, in compliance with the
written policy.
Then, after a month or so, do a text search through the logs for words
like "porn", "sex", etc. Track down the IPs of who did it, and deal with
them in accordance to the written policy. We only had to approach 1 person,
after that, word got out that the policy was serious and we haven't seen
anything in the logs since.
It takes a very short amount of time to check the logs each month, and even
less time if there are no violations.

-Bill

--
It may be that true happiness is nothing more than the ability to *always*
know the right thing to say at the right time,  whereas true misery is the