Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 1997 12:46:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@glacier.cold.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel reconfig--networking no longer works..

I've got a basic BASIC system that is going to be a router for a minor
firewall on our network (basically from standard to 192.168.* addresses).
The system is a generic 486 with two ne2000 cards--the cards do not
conflict (i've already worked that out).  There is no SCSI systems, nor do
I care about some of the features of a standard kernel.  With these
assumptions I rebuilt the kernel off the following config (comments
stripped).  My problem is that now networking doesn't work with the new
kernel--it does still work off either device with the old kernel (to keep
it simple I'm only initting one ethernet device at a time, until I get the
base up and running).  When attempting to use the network I see errors
such as:

sendto(ed1, 224.0.0.2): Permission denied

I'm assuming I've messed up the kernel config by removing one too many
things, but I can't seem to figure out what it is?  Can anybody help?

-----------------------------

machine         "i386"
cpu             "I486_CPU"
ident           GATEWAY
maxusers        10

options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
options         "COMPAT_43"             #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options         SCSI_DELAY=15           #Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI device
options         BOUNCE_BUFFERS          #include support for DMA bounce buffers
options         UCONSOLE                #Allow users to grab the console
options         FAILSAFE                #Be conservative
options         USERCONFIG              #boot -c editor
options         IPFIREWALL              #firewall

config          kernel  root on wd0
controller      isa0

controller      fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk            fd0     at fdc0 drive 0

controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
disk            wd1     at wdc0 drive 1

device          sc0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
device          npx0    at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr

device          lpt0    at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr

device ed0 at isa? port 0x320 net irq  5 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr
device ed1 at isa? port 0x300 net irq  10 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr

pseudo-device   loop
pseudo-device   ether
pseudo-device   log
pseudo-device   tun     1