Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 1997 20:18:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@goof.com>
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   freebsd as a news server?

    I've recently configured a 200Mhz PPro on a TYAN motherboard
with 128M ram and 45G of ultra wide scsi drives (5 9G drives
total) hanging off an Adaptec 3940UW.  Anyway, I initially had
forgotten to up the per user process limit and open files limit.
This thing's running innd.  Anyway, I started getting messages
about too many open files and no more processes (when many users
connected at once).  So I changed CHILD_MAX and OPEN_MAX to 1024
each.  Since then, expire has been taking over 18 hours to run.
It seems to have started after the reboot that changed the
kernel.  Does anyone have any idea why this would happen?  What
have others used for these limits to get better performance?
Thanks in advance!

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead