Date:      Sun, 6 Jun 1999 19:48:04 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Andreas Kreuzinger <kreuzing@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
To:        Robert Beer <r-beer@onu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
Subject:   Re: authentication for nis-user fails, only local user can login

Hi !

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Robert Beer wrote:

> At 4:06 PM -0400 6/3/1999, Andreas Kreuzinger wrote:
> >Any other hints?
>
> Well, you need the nis domainname set and verified.  You can see which NIS server you are bound to with ypwhich and you can test the communication with ypcat and ypmatch.  If this stuff fails look at the /var/yp/Makefile on the NIS server.

As I wrote in my first mail, I can get the passwd file with ypcat. That's
why I think that the problem is the encryption and not the nis system.

> Additionally, as root try using su to become an nis user.  See if that produces any useful error messages.

I tried that, but it fails with the error message "Unknown user".
But I can list the home directories of the user. (We mount them with the
automount daemon, so this works without problems.)

Thanks anyway.
Any other suggestions?

cu andy