Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 1996 00:24:09 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Khetan Gajjar <khetan@iafrica.com>
To:        Jim Dennis <jimd@mcafee.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: swapper

On Mon, 14 Jun 110, Jim Dennis wrote:

>	Ahhh!  -- that's what I thought it would do.  That's why I've
>	never tried it (I hate killing my connections -- and I hate
>	killing *everyone's* connections even more).

This won't kill everyone's connections. It restarts only the swapper -
nothing else is disturbed. Your login (the very one in which you type
kill -1 0 as root) will be terminated - all other processes are untouched
though.

>	I misunderstood your message and thought you were giving us a
>	way to selectively kill just the processes that are swapped to
>	disk (some special signal handling in the 'swapper').

I am.

>	Considering the side effects I don't see the advantage over just
>	restarting the whole machine.

What side-effects ? It just flushes the swapper.

Regards,
Khetan Gajjar.

---
Visit me at http://www.iafrica.com/~khetan/