Date:      Thu, 27 Nov 1997 19:43:50 +0000
From:      Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   umount panic and System V options

I have performed the "Mystery Fix" on my box. My problem is fixed but it is
a mystery how I did it.

If you have followed my recent troubles you may recall that my system was
panicking during the execution of umount.

I took a gander at my kernel config file. I noticed that one of the three
system V options was missing. I had ommitted SYSVMSG. I did not think
(guess) that this would matter. BUT... My umount problem has disappeared
after I recompiled with SYSVMSG.

Was this change in the kernel really responsible for the fix? My guess is
no. Could anyone help take the mystery out of this fix?

FWIW. I was under the impression after reading the "The Complete FreeBSD"
that SYSVMSG was not mandatory. Ipcs reports no processes using SYSV options.

Thanks,
Jason "Houdini" Wells