Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:43:04 -0500
From:      Chris BeHanna <chris@behanna.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cost of a Bare-Bones Box?

    Is it possible to build an Opteron-based box for under a grand, if
I re-use my existing NIC, hard disks, and video board (will they even
work?):

    Adaptec 3950U2B hosting a pair of LVD drives
    Adaptec 2400A IDE RAID hosting a quartet of WD 120GB Sp. Editions
    ATI Radeon 7200 (aka Radeon VIVO)
    Netgear FA310TX serving the outside world
    Netgear FA302T serving the inside LAN

    Can I re-use my 500W ATX power supply?  What about my 1GB stick of
registered PC2100 ECC?  Can I get an SMP mobo and just stick one CPU
on it for now?

    Can I re-use my tower ATX case?

    This is being driven by the death of my wife's and son's XP box.
I'm thinking of swapping my workstation out to them and building
myself a spiffy new box, or swapping my crashbox out to them, my
workstation out to my crashbox, and building myself a spiffy new box.

Thanks,
--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)