Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 1997 18:21:23 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Disklabel at sysinstall

Greetings!
     I was just looking at the disk label on an IDE drive
on a 2.1R system.  Basically:
		size	  offset   type
	a	539041	  75776	   4.2BSD
	b	 75776	      0	    swap
	c	614817	      0	   unused
But, sc is 1008 and nc is 609 for a "theoretical" su of 613872
(though 'disklabel' reports su as 614871).

So, the first question is, why the ~950 sector discrepancy?

Second question, why is partition c labeled as "unused"?

And, I assume the su figure should reflect the BIOS
settings of the drive (and not necessarily the drive's
size or geometry).

Lastly, is there anything that I should be wary of wrt
a manual disklabel-newfs?  Should sysinstall create
entries in disktab to reflect the actual settings used
during the install (wasn't this true of earlier -- like
1.1R days -- releases)?

Thanks!
--don