Date:      Tue, 03 Jun 2014 16:37:55 -0700
From:      merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz)
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        Alejandro Imass <aimass@yabarana.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS Recommendations for a new server

>>>>> "Warren" == Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> writes:

Warren> Second, because it allows ZFS to deal directly with the disks.
Warren> If the disks are hidden under a hardware RAID system, it can
Warren> keep ZFS from seeing problems when they first begin.

Somewhat apocryphal, since I can't seem to google the reference, but
I've heard that ZFS actually detected checksum problems in supposedly
production-hardware RAID boxes.

In another story, I've heard that using super cheap but fast disks with
a good ZFS controller is more cost effective (and faster) than the
equivalent hardware RAID solutions.

<merlyn@stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>;
Perl/Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
Still trying to think of something clever for the fourth line of this .sig