Date:      Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:37:39 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        markzero <mark@darklogik.org>
Subject:   Re: Lowest common denominator for buildworld/kernel

On Tuesday 12 April 2005 04:18 pm, markzero wrote:
> > >Hello,
> > >I would like to set up a machine with which to build world and
> > > kernels for an assortment of slightly different machines. The
> > > machines are an assortment of Pentium IIs', IIIs' and AMD K6s'.
> > > What CPU type should I build for in order to safely accomodate
> > > the slight differences? i386?
> > >
> > >Also, as a side note, is there any better way to distribute the
> > > compiled binaries and kernel than NFS mounts? I *really* don't
> > > get along with NFS...
> > >
> > >Thanks,
> > >Mark
> >
> > I don't know what sort of accomodation you mean.  The binaries can
> > all be perfectly portable, or, at your option, you can put in
> > various extra options to optimize for your processor.  To tell you
> > the trush, if you don't play with the flags, then I see no problem
> > with "slight differences".
>
> Ok, thanks for the affirmation. I was pretty sure that this would be
> the case but as I'm not familiar with the build process under the
> hood, I wasn't sure if the makefiles tweaked themselves implicitly
> depending on the build platform. I'm glad this isn't the case, that
> would be quite a pickle.
>
> > ssh works great for a lot of applications that need to send
> > products to foreign lands ... it's the "scp" command, in
> > particular, I mean.
>
> ssh was the first thing that sprang to mind but it also raised some
> further questions, like what exactly to copy. /usr/obj would
> obviously have to go over but what about all the makefiles required
> for a 'make installworld' etc? I wondered if I would end up just
> copying over /usr/src entirely, which seems very innefficient.
>
> Hmm, it's certainly something to think about.

What I have done to cover that situation is place /usr/obj and /usr/src
in their own 1.5GB partitions. Then, when you nfs_mount them on the
other system, they have the same path as when you did the build.

You don't need 3GB to cover the build but HDs are cheap and rebuilding a
slice is not. I have the kernel config file for each of the other
systems on the build machine. When you do a buildkernel, you can have
the build machine build the kernel for all of them at one time.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA