Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 10:18:46 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PR broken? was Re: Linux not FreeBSD?

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 03:48:44PM -0700, Gregory Sutter wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 03:03:19PM +0200, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> >
> > Did I mention getting rid of CVS?  Ah, yes, I think I did.  (It is
> > necessary in order to get a decent handle on branched development -
> > and you need branched development if you're going to do research.)
>
> Perforce, perchance?

Perforce would be an improvement for the developers that presently
have commit privileges.  I believe it would significantly speed up
FreeBSD development.  The main reason we're not using it as of today
is that we do not want our development process to be dependent on
closed source software.

However, Perforce wouldn't be a direct improvement for the people that
do not have commit privs.  They would get indirect benefits from the
changes that Perforce supports, but they wouldn't get the direct
benefits.

I believe FreeBSD needs something that allows external parties to
create branches/Lines of Development (for their own use) as easily as
the FreeBSD committers can.  There are no present alternatives that
cover this well; I know of two systems at various stages of
development with this capability, but none that are finished.

Eivind.