Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 08:19:28 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: overlapping wireless lans (WAPs)

--da4uJneut+ArUgXk

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 09:32:50AM +0200, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>=20
> First off excuses for being not quite FreeBSD centric, but I appreciate t=
he
> expertise here:
>=20
> We are using a couple of WAPs made by a Mfgr., named 'Level One'.
> It is 802.11b standard. Someone told me yesterday, that each of these
> WAPs can only serve 11 clients. I didn't find a note on that anywhere but
> I admit that I didn't much care about it until now. Maybe it's a
> technology inherent issue (frequency multiplex slots etc etc)

It's a function of the amount of storage the AP has dedicated to tracking
clients.  11 seems quite low even for a "home" AP.  Larger ones typicaly
support >1000 clients.

> Now we are in the situation that we have to serve 30 notebooks in
> one room. I'm thinking of solving it in the following way
> and would like to ask whether this is the correct approach:
>=20
> Give every WAP a different network name (phys1,phys2,phys3 for example)
> and let the notebook users pick from one of these networks.
>=20
>  From which symptom does one recognize that a WAP has subsumed all its
> slots. Am I right with that assumption at all, that there is a=20
> limitation in the number of clients?

Probably crappy performance since I suspect the most idle assocation
would get the boot.  You might be better off just putting the three APs
on channels 1, 6, and 11 and giving them the same SSID which would let
clients wonder between them.  There would be collisions, but forcing
users to do it themselves isn't likely to be very popular.

-- Brooks

--=20

--da4uJneut+ArUgXk

--da4uJneut+ArUgXk--