Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 17:00:25 -0400
From:      "C. A. Daelhousen" <cd9@buffalo.edu>
To:        "Ernest H. Rice" <ehr3@ehr3.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading...

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 10:26:49AM -0400, Ernest H. Rice wrote:
> Hello...
>
> Here is my uname output...
>
> FreeBSD fred.ehr3.net 4.5-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE #0: Thu May 23
> 16:59:31 EDT 2002     ehr3@fred.ehr3.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
> i386
>
> I want to keep current on the STABLE RELEASE path, but also do not want
> to disturb the files I have in user's directories, etc.
>
> Custom configuration is also a concern...
>
> Will I be able to upgrade the OS without having to reconfigure/lose
> data?
>
> Is it intuitive how to do this?
>
> What version would you recommend?
>
> Thanks in advance for acommodating this basic question...
>
> Ernie Rice

First: there are two branches, -STABLE (RELENG_4) and -RELEASE
(RELENG_4_6). Read the sections of the Handbook on compiling your own
kernel (Chapter 9) and using CVSup (Appendix A). The Handbook is at:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

Configuration is saved; the 'mergemaster' command exists to help you
merge in new changes. (It is generally a bad idea to let it touch your
/etc/master.passwd and /etc/group files, though.) Read the
mergemaster(8) man page thoroughly before attempting to use it.

And just in case it all explodes in a ball of flaming death, back up
your data first.

I'm going to leave the "which version" question up to others.

--
..: Chad Daelhousen == cd9@buffalo.edu :.........: sig v3.1 :...
: Programming for 10 +/- 2 years (50 +/- 10% of a lifetime)    :