Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 22:17:08
From:      Kurt Keller <Kurt@pinboard.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Port 137 (was: Re: private network on router's external NIC?)

>Except that Newbios-NS (137) port lookups come from machines with
>WINS turned on doing web browsing.  I tracked this down after I

To me it seems web servers send out packets to port 137 as well. Not
using WINS internally and browsing through a double proxy connection,
we filter out lots of _incoming_ packets to port 137. From one site
there are also such packets at night, when nobody is surfing.
Contacting their administrator I was told that at night they process
access and routing statistics on a WIN box.

Oh, how much bandwith we'd save without those MS-boxes...<g>

Kurt
--
  Kurt@pinboard.com       http://www.pinboard.com/          business
                          http://www.pinboard.com/kurt/     private