Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:45:37 -0400
From:      John <papalia@UDel.Edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Daily security emails

Hi all-

I was wondering if there is a basic guide some place on "how to read the
emails generated by /etc/daily, ./weekly, ./monthly" ?  Just as an example,
my daily log resulted in me getting the following message about 10 times:

> arp: 128.175.75.32 moved from 00:40:95:00:2a:59 to 00:40:95:00:2a:a4 on fxp1

Since fxp1 is my card to the "outside", i'm guessing that someone on my
subnet changed their ethernet card? or would that be wrong?

I also get other messages like:

mail:
                Mail Queue (2 requests)
--Q-ID-- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient------------
CAA19205      806 Wed Jul 21 02:00 root
                 (mailer local died with signal 14)
                                   root
BAA13341  (no control file)

Which I'd also like to understand (particularly if they're
good/bad/indifferent).

I'm still learning, and after a full year of running I'm still configuring
all the stuff I never knew I had to / should, so any help that can be
offered or suggested readings would be great.

Thanks!!!
--John