Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 13:12:47 -0800
From:      Nicole Harrington  <nicole@mediacity.com>
To:        Doug White  <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Nicole Harrington  <nicole@mediacity.com>
Cc:        The experts  <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6-BETA OOP-ACK-BLEH sendmail 8.8.8 won't compile

> On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Nicole Harrington wrote:
>
> >  Tonight I decided to run CVsup and I did so without paying full
attention. I
> > now seem to be running 2.2.6-BETA.
>
> Welcome to -stable!  :-)
>
> > Thankfully it was on my own server.  I have recompiled most everything I
> > needed to after doing make world and building a new kernel. (Like named
> > 8.1.1 - Which *should* IMHO be in 2.2.6)
>
> Principle of least suprise says that named 8.x won't be in 2.2.x due to
> the config file renovation.  Good candidate for 3.x though.

 Yes. It is much better than the 4.6 series that is no longer being developed.

> >  But now I find that I cannot recompile sendmail 8.8.8 with TCPwrapper
> > support. It seems to die on map.c. I seem to be able to do it without
> > the TCPD support, but the same make file worked before.
>
> Are you using the distributed version or the one out of our source tree?

 Hi Thanks for the reply
 I am compiling one downloaded from isc. It is the same one I compiled before.
Basicly I just went back to the place I had it and typed "makesendmail clean"
then "makesendmail". What is most odd is that it will compile without the TCPD
additions that worked before in several systems. I recompiled TCPwrappers just
to be sure it was not that.

Below is an abrideged copy of my Makefile.

 Thanks a bunch!

  Nicole

#  Makefile for FreeBSD
#
#	@(#)Makefile.FreeBSD	8.8 (Berkeley) 8/7/97

PROG=	sendmail

# define the database format to use for aliases et al.  Can be -DNEWDB (for
# the new BSD database package -- this is preferred) or -DNDBM for the NDBM
# database package.  The old putrescent V7 DBM package is no longer
# supported.
# You can define both NEWDB and NDBM during a transition period; old
# databases are read, but the new format will be used on any rebuilds.  On
# really gnarly systems, you can set this to null; it will crawl like a high
# spiral snail, but it will work.
DBMDEF=	-DNEWDB -DNIS

CFLAGS+=-I${.CURDIR} ${INCDIRS} ${LIBDIRS} ${DBMDEF} -DTCPWRAPPERS=1

# LIBS= -lwrap
# library directories
LIBDIRS=-L/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib

# include directories
INCDIRS=-I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/lib
###############

SRCS=	alias.c arpadate.c clock.c collect.c conf.c convtime.c daemon.c \
	deliver.c domain.c envelope.c err.c headers.c macro.c main.c map.c \
	mci.c mime.c parseaddr.c queue.c readcf.c recipient.c safefile.c \
	savemail.c srvrsmtp.c stab.c stats.c sysexits.c trace.c udb.c \
	usersmtp.c util.c version.c

DPADD=  ${LIBUTIL}
LDADD=  -lutil -lwrap
#
# FreeBSD 1.0 RELEASE has GNU man and doesn't need preformatted man pages
anymore
#	(assuming you consider a slower "man" command a feature)
#
MAN1=	mailq.1 newaliases.1
MAN5=	aliases.5
MAN8=	sendmail.8
LINKS=	/usr/sbin/sendmail /usr/bin/newaliases \
	/usr/sbin/sendmail /usr/bin/mailq \
	/usr/sbin/sendmail /usr/bin/hoststat \
	/usr/sbin/sendmail /usr/bin/purgestat
INSTALL=install
BINDIR=	/usr/sbin
BINOWN=	root
BINGRP=	kmem
BINMODE=4555

   *    Nicole Harrington | Systems Administrator    *

     nicole@mediacity.com - nicole@ispchannel.com
        www.mediacity.com - www.ispchannel.com
      Phone: 650-237-1464 - Pager: 415-301-2482