Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:17:17 -0400
From:      Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>
To:        emulation@freebsd.org
Cc:        bwithrow@engeast.BayNetworks.COM
Subject:   VMWare floppy problems

Continuing my saga, rather than diddle with NT to make it uniprocessor,
I decided to try to install Win95 in a virtual disk.  This is FBSD4.0Rel,
and vmware2-2.0.2.621.

The VM boots the floopy and loads the CDROM driver, then tells me
that COMMAND.COM is corrupted or can't be found.

  - I've tried this with two different floppies with identical results.

  - I've configured the floppy as directed in Hints.FreeBSD

      floppy0.fileType = "file"
      floppy0.present = TRUE
      floppy0.fileName = "/dev/rfd0"
      floppy0.startConnected = TRUE

   - I've also DD'd the contents of the floppy to a file and tried

      floppy0.fileName = "floppy.image"

     with the same results.

   - I've also tried configuring the floppy as a device.  That leads
     to weirder behavior, with garbage being written to the virtual
     console.

In all cases the log has stuff like this:

  Jul 27 17:05:40: Floppy: Read with Strange Geometry.  Max Sector: 0x1A
  Jul 27 17:05:40: FloppyImage: Strange Geometry Not supported.

Suggestions?  Please reply directly.
Thanks!

--
Robert Withrow -- (+1 978 288 8256)