Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:24:44 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to compile Linux sources

Dear Sirs.
I'm in trouble these days because it seems to be impossible to
deal with StarOffice 5.2 under FreeBSD and any MySQL server
via ODBC. Obviously StarOffice assumes a Linux library libodbc.so
which is not part of the distribution and it is nearly impossible
to get aout dated stuff as RedHat 6.1 like the emulation/base
distribution in FreeBSD (why so old?).

I successfuly installed a mysqlclient-library and some libs
for MyODBC, but I do not have the necessary unixODBC libraries.
I found some new RPMs, but the obsolete stuff in FreeBSD's
linux_base6.1 (rpm) reports that it can not install this major
number of distribution (> 3). Well, that was what I expected
because it was for RedHat 7 - but there aren't 6.1-libs.

The alternative would be to compile the source - but this fails
due some not found routines ins some libs. for that, I exec'ed
into /compat/linux/bin/sh and set up the path to first find linux
binaries and libraries.

Has anybody experiences in doing that?

Thanks,
Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@mail.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)