Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 11:36:04 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Otter <otter@otter.cc>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Microsoft Intelimouse 3rd Button

Otter wrote:

> Kent Stewart wrote:
> >
> > I have been frustrated on my multi-boot system because of the
> > perceived lack of a 3rd button. Then I went into XF86Setup to look at
> > my mouse settings. There I found that by pushing the wheel down I have
> > my 3rd button.
> > --
> > Kent Stewart
> > Richland, WA
> >

> Kent,
> FYI: Should you ever get another mouse or your up/down stops working,
> you can do "3 button emulation" by pressing left and right together
> (and configurig in xf86config). By the way, thanks for the tip on
> pushing the wheel. i've been "dual clicking" for quite a while now. I
> have the Logitech w/ a wheel.

Hi Otter,

I'm glad the tip was useful. I use KDE and found that the combo of
pressing the left and right button together to paste didn't work. I
figure there wasn't something I could do but it hadn't reached the
really irritating point. There are only so many things that you can
discover in a day and the mouse problem never seemed to reach that
point. Then, one day I was in the process of making one of my Windows
2000 Pro machines also boot FreeBSD. There were parameters that I
needed to copy from a configuration file on one system to another and
the third button problem finally became irritating enough that I
stopped to deal with it.

I've always used XF86Setup instead of xf86config. So, I ran XF86Setup
from a KDE terminal window to see about using 3rd button simulation
and accidentally found I had a 3rd button. I think what really
surprised me was that the wheel acted like a button. The mouse
pictured in XF86Setup had three buttons and I am still surprised that
I pushed the wheel down to test it but I did and it worked. That was
the biggest "WOW" of the day. I hadn't seen any comments on the wheel
acting like a button and thought that one in the archives might save
someone some frustration. Why simulate the third button when you
already have one. It is good to see that the Logitech also works the
same way.

At any rate, pressing the wheel down always pasted what I had
selected. That made cross machine editing much easier :). Later, I
started cross nfs_mounting any important file system. I could use the
default KDE editor, which is much more compatible with x-windows than
vi is, and it wouldn't have mattered so much. There are files that you
can't click with KDE and have them pop up in an editor window. The
need to use vi would have been reduced and the 3rd button may never
have been irritating enough to check on the configuration.

Cheers,

Kent

--
Kent Stewart