Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 12:19:58 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp

On Wed, Jun 17, 1998 at 12:30:35PM +0300, Evren Yurtesen wrote:
> hello,
> I have a serious problem about ppp on freebsd
> I have just installed freebsd 2.2.6 on a machine
> and when I start ppp session it does not let me
> connect to port 3000 the command I issue is
> ppp -alias -auto myisp
>
> then
>
> telnet localhost 3000
>
> it says connection refused...
>
> with the same configuration file I was able to do it
> with freebsd 2.2.5, what is wrong? I could not understand
> what to do...
>
> thank you

RTFM:

        set server|socket TcpPort|LocalName|none [password] [mask]
           This command tells ppp to listen on the given socket or `diagnostic
           port' for incoming command connections.  This is not possible if
           ppp is in interactive mode.  The word none instructs ppp to close
                                                 ----
           any existing socket.  If you wish to specify a unix domain socket,
           LocalName must be specified as an absolute file name, otherwise it
           ---------
           is assumed to be the name or number of a TCP port.  You may specify
           the octal umask that should be used with unix domain sockets as a
           four character octal number beginning with `0'. Refer to umask(2)
           for umask details.  Refer to services(5) for details of how to
           translate TCP port names.

           You may also specify the password that must be used by the client
           when connecting to this socket.  If the password is not specified
           here, /etc/ppp/ppp.secret is searched for a machine name that's the
                 -------------------
           same as your local host name without any domain suffix.  Refer to
           hostname(1) for further details.  If a password is specified as the
           empty string, no password is required.

           When using ppp with a server socket, the pppctl(8) command is the
           preferred mechanism of communications.  Currently, telnet(1) can
           also be used, but link encryption may be implemented in the future,
           so telnet(1) should not be relied upon.

Regards,
--
Ruslan Ermilov          System Administrator
ru@ucb.crimea.ua        United Commercial Bank