Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 1996 18:22:53 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        mnewell@lupine.nsi.nasa.gov, nate@sri.MT.net
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pppd vs ijppp

>> Nope.  I got a predictor-1 module from the Linux author which is
>> *extremely* Linux-centric.  It also has some patent problems with the
>> CRC algorithm it uses (which is why it's not distributed publically), so
>> I hope to use it as a basis for bringing into our pppd, using the
>> predictor-1 module out of ijppp.

>Is the module in ijppp also encumbered?

Probably.

The standard BSD-compress in the current kernel ppp (and in /usr/bin)
is also apparently encumbered.  See /usr/src/usr.sbin/pppd/RELNOTES.

>I'm not sure I will be able to do it, but I'm really interested in
>getting better throughput so I'm willing to give it a stab.  Is there a

Doesn't your modem do compression?  I don't see how compression can
help if it does.  BSD-compress (15 bits) only achieves 33% compression
on /kernel (a average (?) non-text non-compressed file) at a cost of
approximately doubling the total transmission overhead on a 486DX2/66.
For compressing /kernel.gz, /usr/bin/compress _expands_ the file by 40%.

Bruce