Date:      Wed, 31 May 2006 22:08:21 +0200
From:      nocturnal <nocturnal@swehack.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Net dies after many torrent packets, BUG?!

Hi

Not sure if this is already posted or already reported as a bug because
i honestly don't have time for those things.

I have reproduced this problem a few times but it has some special
requirements. For example i download a torrent from a very fast peer in
the rtorrent client. I have reproduced this with both rTorrent 0.4.5 -
libTorrent 0.8.5 and two earlier versions which i don't remember. My
friend is using the same versions as i am now and reported no problems
in the latest development versions, he only started using them today. I
have a 10/10Mbit connection at home and this happens when rtorrent is
downloading at max speed. It varies somewhere around 7-10Mbit but never
over 10Mbit by much. My friend only has a capacity of 1Mbit but got the
same problem.

This is why i'm reporting this because if it turns out that this can be
reproduced by sending speciall crafted packets or packets in a special
order then i guess it's pretty serious. I highly doubt this but still, a
user process should not kill the net like rtorrent has done.

Both me and my friend were running FreeBSD 6.0 RELEASE when this happened.

I was not going to report this but a friend just told me he gets the
exact same results on FreeBSD 6.0 so i felt i should tell someone.
--

Med vänliga hälsningar

Stefan Midjich aka nocturnal
[Swehack] http://swehack.se