Date:      Wed, 23 Mar 2011 17:11:24 -0400
From:      George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Firefox startup impacted by distributed.net client

Original message, from ten months ago:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2010-May/031915.html

Briefly, running the distributed.net client on my FreeBSD 8.0 box
made Firefox take forever to start up (90 seconds vs. 2 seconds).
The distributed.net client is essentially 100% CPU bound, with
occasional file I/O and even more occasional socket I/O, running
at nice 20.  The problem has persisted since then.

So I finally compiled up a kernel using SCHED_4BSD instead of
SCHED_ULE.  Problem fixed.

It still doesn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling about FreeBSD 8.0,
since I still have the awful NFS client performance problem (though
not as bad as before the Rick Macklem patch).    -- George Mitchell