Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:23:33 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Floris v. Gog" <tmm@tuhb.org>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPP and XWindows do the tango

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998 01:53:18 +0100, Floris v. Gog wrote:

>when i try to dial in to my ISP (being
>root, in the first console) and then switch over to console 2 with
>alt-F2, then log in as a user!=root, and then run X windows, the dialing
>stops. is this right or is it a feature?

What version of freebsd? How are you starting X and which window
manager? Which version of XFree86 ?? Which ppp are you using ?  In case
you don't know, there's pppd (see man pppd), iijppd (see man ppp), and
kpppd (I think, which is a kde utility and may depend on pppd).

I'm running -stable (2.2.8), cvsupped Dec 10th, XFree86 3.3.3.
I use startx to launch the X server and fvwm95 for a window manager.  I
also have fvwm, kde, and afterstep installed, because I'm trying them
out, but I've really only spent time with kde so far...

I'm not experiencing the same anomaly.

I've unsubscribed from the list till I get back from Christmas
vacation, so cc me if you will, and don't forget to cc the list so
others have a chance...

Steve Friedrich
Viva la FreeBSD!!
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.