Date:      Tue, 12 Apr 2011 16:08:22 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Pawel Tyll <ptyll@nitronet.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Przemyslaw Frasunek <przemyslaw@frasunek.com>
Subject:   Re: Missing serial port after enabling serial console in loader.conf

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 11:13:06PM +0200, Pawel Tyll wrote:
> >> P.S. -- What's "BMC" stand for?
> > Baseband Management Controller.  It's the separate NIC (sometimes it's
> > piggy-backed on a NIC) used for remote management of motherboards.
> > Usually includes IPMI support.  Depending on the motherboard, it may
> > even include support for keyboard/video/mouse redirection and
> > serial-over-lan and all that other remote management stuff.
>
> Actually, the board in reference has built-in BMC; it's IPMI managed
> and when properly configured it allows user to ssh to its IP and
> access things like SOL, chassis power control and other IPMI things
> without any IPMI clients. As to video redirection, there's addon for
> that, built-in BMC doesn't have anything that fancy. And on point, I
> was having similar problems with these boards some time ago, but it
> seems it has been fixed somewhere between 8.1 and 8.2.

If I remember correctly from following commits, there were changes to
the boot loader pertaining to serial port initialisation.  I think I
remember something about certain control bits being set/reset when they
should have been masked out (left alone).

As I understand it, the serial console capabilities on FreeBSD are
tested predominantly with motherboards that have on-board serial ports.
That is to say, systems with classic/legacy DB9 ports on the board
itself and not via IPMI or out-of-band management modules (re: BMC).
So, one should not be too surprised that there may be "oddities" seen
with those.

I imagine that UART enumeration/initialisation might differ on such
modules, so this sort of problem doesn't surprise me much.  Marcel
Moolenaar (author of uart(4)) probably has better insights.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |