Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 2000 16:31:13 -0400
From:      "Patrick Bihan-Faou" <patrick@mindstep.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DLINK DFE 530TX

Hi,

From: ""Christophe Prevotaux"" <chris@hexanet.fr>

> I am not interested in the WOL feature , I just want the card
> recognized by FreeBSD , the CHIPSET is not a RHINE I chipset
> anymore in these cards ( 530TX w/WOL )

Actually there are 2 DLink Ethernet cards with about the same name:
- the "DLink DFE 530 TX" which uses the "vr" driver on FreeBSD
- the "DLink DFE 530 TX+" which uses the "rl" (realtek) driver. (note the +
in the name)

The 530 TX+ is a very tiny card, the 530 TX is a "normal" sized PCI card.

I have one problem with the 530 TX+ (rl) card in that it does not seem to
detect the ethernet cable speed correctly when in "autodetect media" mode. I
am setup with 10BaseT here and when the card is configured via DHCP, the
performance suck (it seems that packet get out once in a while) until I do a
"ifconfig rl0 media 10BaseT/UTP". After this the card works just fine.

I haven't had time to look in the autoneg code, and the workaround is simple
enough for now, but this to me qualifies as a bug (probably due to the poor
quality of the card itself).

Patrick.